Steps to capture text via the serial console with HyperTerminal.
Capturing the boot text is applicable in the following situations:
A) The server fails to boot completely
B) The server boots into recovery mode and rebooting the system does not resolve the issue
C) The system LED alternates green and amber every second
Steps to capture text via the serial console with HyperTerminal:
- 1. Attach a null modem cable between the Snap server and the PC
- 2. Start HyperTerminal (Normally found under the Start?>Programs?>Accessories?>Communications menu)
- 3. Enter a name of the connection and click ok
- 4. Connect using the COM port the null modem cable is attached to on the PC
- 5. For the port settings, specify 115200 for Bits per second. Leave the rest of the settings alone. They should default to 8, None, 1, Hardware
- 6. In the Transfer menu, select Capture Text and specify the file to output the text
- 7. Turn on the server
Text should begin to appear on the terminal window shortly. The text will be captured to the file specified in step 6. Allow the text to stop for more than 5 minutes before stopping the capture.
If the first boot stops at the # prompt, reboot the server and allow the text to stop for more than 5 minutes before stopping the capture.