What could cause the message \?SMB : Can't resolve master browser IP address for domain ABC\? appear in the server log?
The code was attempting to resolve the IP address of the machine acting as the master browser for domain named ABC. This can be caused by many reasons from a timeout, the domain name is incorrect, the domain controller is not on-line, the WINS server is not available, the domain controller is on a different subnet and a WINS server is not available, a master browser election has not occurred, a master browser election recently occurred and the elected master browser isn?t up to date, and a network communication failure.
Follow the steps below to specify the IP address of the domain controller for the domain. These steps will help if the failure is due to a name resolution failure.
- 1. Point the browser to the /config/debug page of the server. (For example. http://snap123456/config/debug)
- 2. In the command box, enter the following commands with the following syntax and click OK.
- 3. HOSTS [DOMAIN-NAME] MACHINE [PDC/BDC name]
- 4. HOSTS [DOMAIN-NAME] IP [PDC/BDC IP address]
- 5. Reboot the Snap server.
PDC/BDC IP address is the TCP/IP address of the machine referenced by the matching PDC/BDC name. After issuing the 'HOSTS' commands, the Snap Server must be rebooted for the changes to take effect.
DOMAIN-NAME=ABC<br>PDC/BDC name=SERVER1<br>PDC/BDC IP address=192.168.1.1
The commands for steps 3 and 4 would be as follow.
HOSTS ABC MACHINE SERVER1
HOSTS ABC IP 192.168.1.1