When adding the IP address to the Target Portal on the Microsoft iSCSI initiator it gets an error "initiator instance does not exist".
If the Microsoft iSCSI initiator was uninstalled and reinstalled without completing removing all the files associated with the initiator this error could occur.
Perform the following steps to resolve.
1. Uninstall the Microsoft iSCSI initiator.
2. Go to C:/windows and delete the iSCSI folder
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Overland Storage, Inc. cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.
3. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Delete the following registry subkeys:
4. Reboot the server.
5. Install the Microsoft iSCSI initiator.