On HP-UX 11.x, how do I enable compression on AIT-3, HP LTO G1/2, and SDLT320 drives?

Version 1

Cause:

Solution:
    1. # ioscan -f
    (Use this to get instance number and driver used for your tape drive.)

2. # mksf -d -I -b -c
    (This is the basic command to create the rewinding device, but there are other switches to specify the non-rewinding and Berkeley-style rewind/close, often needed for different backup applications.)

3. # mksf -d -I -b -c -n -u
    (-n is used to create the non-rewinding device and -u creates the UC Berkeley-style rewind/close.)

SDLT320 Example
    This example assumes the stape driver (could also be tape2, depending on the output of ioscan -f).
    #mksf -d stape -I 0 -b 147 -c 16 -n -u

This command is used to create a non-rewinding, Berkeley-style, SDLT320 format, compression-enabled device file.
    After running the command, look in the /dev/rmt directory for the special file created.
    For example, if the drive was attached to controller 2, SCSI ID 1, you would see:/dev/rmt/c2t1d0D147C16nb

HP LTO G2 Example
    #mksf -d stape -I 0 -b 66 -c 1 -n -u

HP LTO G1 Example
    #mksf -d stape -I 0 -b U_18C (The way it shows up with HP's pdf entry in configuring HP tape drives in UNIX.)
    or replace -b with 64

AIT-3 Example

This example assumes the stape driver (could also be tape2, depending on the output of ioscan -f).
    #mksf -d stape -I 0 -b 50 -c 3 -n -u

This command is used to create a non-rewinding, Berkeley-style, AIT-3 format, compression-enabled device file.
    After running the command, look in the /dev/rmt directory for the special file created.
    For example, if the drive was attached to controller 2, SCSI ID 1, you would see:/dev/rmt/c2t1d0D50C3nb